We’re getting a little bit fancy with this camping recipe, but don’t freak out if you’ve just read the title, we’re not expecting you to cook beef bones and a million other ingredients for days to create an authentic ramen broth. But, this recipe is waaaay better than two-minute packet ramen from the supermarket – and just as easy.
After a couple of days in the outdoors, sitting down with a bowl of our ramen noodle soup, you might just achieve something close to the same feeling you get when you eat the real deal at your favourite local restaurant back home.
How to cook ramen with Japanese mushrooms
For this camping recipe you will need:
- 1 x campstove (or grill for cooking over a campfire)
- 1 x pot or billy
- 1 x packet of vermicelli rice noodles
- 2 x miso sachets
- 1 x handful of dried assorted Japanese mushrooms
- 1 x spring onion
- 300ml Water.
Need some gear? Check out the full range of camp cooking equipment on our marketplace!
Discover more: Camp Cooking 101: your recipe for success
This recipe is so easy, and requires zero prep…unless you want to save chopping a spring onion in which case you can always do this at home and bring in a zip-lock bag.
- Light your camp stove: we’ve chosen the MSR Whisperlite camp stove for this video because it’s super lightweight and packs a punch.
- Fill your billy with roughly 300ml water and bring it to a rolling boil. You can always increase the proportions if you are cooking for more than one person.
- Check your miso sachets to work out the ratio of miso to water. We’re using two as one sachet is good for 150ml of water.
- Give it a good stir to combine.
- Next, add a handful of dried mushrooms. You can stick with just one variety such as shiitake, or go for a mixture for a more complex flavour.
- Stir them to coat with the soup, and pop the lid on to cook and absorb for about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add your vermicelli rice noodles. These are super fast, so you only really need to add them once the mushrooms are tender.
- Make sure all the noodles are submerged and add you sliced spring onion to finish.
- Once your noodles are soft and have soaked up plenty of broth, serve immediately.
Download the free CamperMate app
So what the hell is CamperMate? We’re basically a bunch of travel addicts who love the outdoors, which is why we’ve created one place where you can book caravan parks, rent campervans, as well as share your experiences and stories. Whether you’re planning your next Australian road trip or camping adventure don’t forget to download our free app before you go, to find everything you need when you’re on the road.